Flo’s – The Place in the Park’s opening is just around the corner…as we get ready to open our doors to Florence Park’s diverse community, we thought we’d give you an update on what has been going on so far behind the scenes and some tips on how you can get involved in this exciting community owned and run project.
Once complete, Flo’s – The Place in the Park will become an open and accessible space for the whole community to use, dedicated to serve the diverse needs of the Florence Park area. Flo’s will provide a flexibly priced community café, community midwife services, an affordable children’s nature nursery and a community drop-in space. We hope it will become an inspiration to many others!
Since the community campaign, which gathered 1,600 signatures, and the granting of the bid to re-open the centre (read more about our history here) the members of the steering group have been working hard to get the former children’s centre’s doors open once again! We have been busy registering Flo’s-The Place in the Park as a community interest company, preparing the nursery space and will shortly be appointing our nursery manager, and we’ve been working with the community midwives to ensure they can continue their work under new management.
We’ve also been reaching out to the community with a recent volunteers event kindly hosted by the wonderful folks at Camerados Café in the Ark T centre. It was a pleasure to meet some brilliant people from the Florence Park area – with lots of enthusiasm to get involved.
Another exciting upcoming aspect of work on Flo’s is our community share offer. The Steering group has been working to prepare this over the last weeks and you can find out more about it here register you interest to be part of Flo’s future from the very beginning by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
In 2 weeks contractors will be moving in to do some final refurbishment works on the building in time for the café opening at the end of May *(keep your eyes peeled!).
As we are preparing to open the doors, we need the whole community to come together to get Flo’s ready for opening. There are lots of ways you can get involved.
- Sign up to volunteer – we’re on the look for anyone willing to help with children’s activities, cooking, gardening, decorating, copy reading, communications and community outreach. If you have ideas of how you’d like to get involved, email: email@example.com
- Register your interest in our community share offer
- Check out our events coming up – lots to get involved in
- Join our upcoming volunteer social action day
- Join us at our information dinner and community share launch at the Vaults and Gardens café on the 16th of April.
- Sign up to the newsletter (just down at the bottom of this page)