Flo’s is a community-owned and run hub for people to meet, work, play, create, learn, eat and connect.
Open since September 2018 Flo’s is working to connect people of all ages in the Florence Park and Cowley and provide a space where people can relax and meet each other in the heart of a the beautiful park!
What can you find at Flo’s?
- The community space: free to use by anyone the communtiy space can be used by families or individuals to spend time indoors for free. We have some games, books, toys and also a Lending Library and Book Swap. You can bring your own food. The space can also be reserved for groups that want to run their groups here (as long as anyone can join in. Email us to find out more).
- The Flo Cafe: serving delicious cakes, coffees, warm and cold lunches, salads and snacks. The food is locally and ethically sourced by the Vaults and Garden’s cafe. Find out more here.
- Flo’s Refill Shop: selling-packaged dry foods and detergents to raise funds to keep Flo’s open and reduce plastic waste. Every Saturday and Wednesday, more info here.
- Flo’s Nursery: a nature-based nursery for 2-4 year olds. Find out more here
- The Isis Community Midwives: working with expectant mothers in the ward. Find out more.
- Events: find out whats coming up here.
- Courses: in crafts, horticulture, education etc. Find out more
- Opportunities to volunteer
- Rooms to hire: We have 4 spaces to hire at affordable rates.
Our values and principles:
- Connecting to nature & place – slowing down; enjoying the outdoors and all that nature has to offer; caring for planet, environment and other living things; feeling at home, a sense of belonging, and rootedness
- Inclusive – welcoming all members of the community, regardless of age, culture, background or experience; strengthening community through embracing difference; connecting, making friends and finding mutual support
- Learning for life – planting the seeds of curiosity, breeding confidence, and empowering people to increase their understanding of themselves, others, and the environment and places where they live and work
- Playful & creative – encouraging play for children, families and all ages in the community; being spontaneous; using head, heart and hands; developing resourcefulness; having fun and celebrating together
- Supporting families – respecting children’s rights; understanding it can be tough to raise children; engaging with others in the community to support the needs of parents, carers and extended families
- Participatory – enabling co-creation and shared ownership of what happens at the centre; nurturing independence and inter-dependence; building resilience
- Ethical – cultivating kindness, respect, and cooperation; walking our talk in the way we behave towards others and the environment and the way we use resources
- Financially sustainable – ensuring that the centre can flourish and fulfil a useful role in the community in the longer term
- Being a force for positive change – generating new ways of working and organising; leadership and learning that harness the energy of community, and inspire hope; harvesting what we learn, so it can be shared with and replicated by others.